Skip to main content

Reflection #2


When reading about theories of adult learning and how professional learning should happen in schools, most of what I was reading seemed like a no-brainer to me.  I realized, however, that not all teachers have as transparent and data-driven professional development as I am used to after discussing with other members in our class.  Zepeda’s comments on professional learning happening through student work samples is extremely important to me when considering whether one’s professional development is student-centered.  Student work sample should be relevant to whether students are or are not learning, identify gaps in our teaching rather than in student understanding, and should include a reflection piece (Zepeda, 2008).  While there is a time and place for relevant professional learning that indirectly relates to students rather than focuses on their academic instruction, such as social emotional learning or work around equity and diversity like my district does, it is important to consider students first when increasing professional learning about content. 
              When reading some of the articles about adult learning, the values that are true for me continued to be reflective in the adult learning theories.  In my opinion, the five assumptions of an adult learner (Merriam, 2001), are something that administrators and building leaders should be very familiar with.  Two that I often find can be lacking in professional development for teachers are that a person’s independent self-concept can lead to one’s own learning, and that teachers want immediate application of knowledge (usually something they can use in their classroom right away).  While I have had many excellent professional learning experiences that allow you to use your own passions for learning and contribute that immediately within our own classrooms, I’ve also had my fair share of “one stop shop ‘workshops;” (Zepeda, 2008) that have good intentions but aren’t as practical as intended. 
              Zepeda also lists in Chapter Two the reasons why some teachers may be resistant to change, something that I mentioned in my last discussion post can happen from time to time for some staff members in our building.  The one reason that I identified with the most is the interrupted sequence of leadership.  Last year our building was on their third principal in three years, and fourth principal in five years.  This year was my first year that I had the same principal for two consecutive years, only to find out that I would be having a different evaluator; so, another year of never having the same evaluator twice.  While I tend to be pretty resilient and adaptable to the changes that have occurred in our building, I can understand how much of a toll it can take on teachers to have administration ever-changing.  Each person comes with their own sets of special interests and ways they like things done, and it can be exhausting to continuously have to re-learn procedures and expectations.  This is especially true if the administrators “why” is not very clear or if teachers voices aren’t heard during the decision making process (Zepeda, 2008).  Fortunately in our case, our new administrators have done a fabulous job with both of those things. 
              After reflecting on the readings up until this point, I realized that I am not very informed about my building’s data collection processes, something that is an important part of Killion’s Eight-Step Evaluation Model for Professional Learning (Zepeda, 2008).  This is something that takes place while reviewing our building’s survey data from the previous professional development.  Our leadership team sits down to use the input on those surveys so plan for our next month’s professional development.  While I currently am not on our leadership team, we have the opportunity to inquire about what is discussed regarding professional development from our team leader.  I haven’t done this in the past, but as I become more interested in effective professional learning processes, I would like to be more informed.  Since I have also been involved in leading some PD in my building, I think I will also look at feedback and data that comes back from those a bit more carefully.  Using data to inform our future instruction will allow our staff members to make the best use out of their time and will also help our students to get continuously improving instruction. 

Merriam, S. B. (2001). Andragogy and Self-Directed Learning: Pillars of Adult Learning Theory. New Directions for Adult and Continuing Education,2001(89), 3. doi:10.1002/ace.3

Zepeda, S. J. (2008). Professional development: What works. Larchmont, NY: Eye on Education.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Standard 11 Reflection

Standard 11- Formative and Summative Assessment Standard 11 in Teacher Leadership standards for Seattle Pacific University states one must be able to “ utilize formative and summative assessment in a standards based environment .” As my skills in other teacher leadership standards have increased, this one naturally did as well.  While I used to shy away from the word “assessment” all together, I have realized that I cannot be a skilled and effective teacher without it.  I also realized how much I used formative assessments throughout my lessons without explicitly planning it. Throughout my experience in the Teacher Leadership program, my skills in both implementing specific formative assessment and choosing appropriate summative assessments have increased. At the very beginning of our program, we spent some time looking through our districts evaluation criteria, mine being the Danielson Framework.  We identified areas of strength and areas we want to work on throug

Reflection on Teaching and Learning

Teacher Leadership Standard 3 The third Teacher Leadership standard states " Teacher leaders improve teaching and learning through the use of educational research a the classroom and school levels" ( Seattle Pacific University-Teacher Leadership Program Standards).  While various classes within SPU's teacher leadership program facilitated opportunities to improve teaching and learning practices, completing an action research project and sharing my findings with administration was a learning experience that best highlighted this standard.  Throughout my reflection you will notice that I was able to take charge of my own learning and growth within my classroom, and then share my findings with others.  Going through the practice of identifying areas of growth, doing my own educational research, and then implementing a plan of action within my classroom was an empowering experience as an educator and helped sharpen my skills as a teacher leader in order to facilitate actio

EDTC 6433 Module 3 Reflection

Modeling Digital Citizenship to Young Learners The question I set out to answer for Module 3 was “How can I model effective use of technology to encourage students to be digital citizens?”.  I chose this question based off of the ISTE Standard 3: Model Digital Age Work and Learning.  I wanted to focus primarily on the “modeling” aspect of this ISTE standard, because it is so important that effective use of technology is modeled to students from an early age.  Since I teach first grade, I model everything I do.  It only makes sense to model effective use of technology right along with my students, even when I am not specifically teaching a lesson related to technology.  If I am modeling the correct ways to use technology, my students are more likely to use it the correct way as well when they get an opportunity to use it.  When reviewing the Module 3 assigned readings, I came across the article “The Difference between Digital Literacy and Digital Fluency”.  This article expre