Skip to main content

EDTC 6433 Module 4 Blog Post

Providing Access to Digital Technologies at Home

Working with the 4th ISTE standard, promoting and modeling digital citizenship, I decided to focus my attention on equitable access of technology.  The question I set out to answer was: How can I meet the diverse needs of my first graders through technology while providing equitable access to appropriate digital tools at home? This is something that has been on my mind lately, especially with the increasing technology that I have in my room.  I’ve noticed there is a large gap of technology-related knowledge between my students, often separated by the students’ socio economic status.  Confirmed by an article that a classmate shared, many low income families still have a significant lack of technology resources, even in today’s technology rich society (Ribble, 2011).   While I can individualize my technology instruction within the classroom, this still has a significant impact to students at home. 
              When considering digital citizenship, a very important but often overlooked aspect is digital access (Ribble, Miller).  Thankfully, my students have a wealth of technology access within our classroom this year.  Through some grants and some other programs within our district, I have access to 17 iPads, 2 laptops, and 4 desktop computers.  For having just 18 first graders this year, my student’s technology use and instruction is very rich within the classroom.  Though my district is in a middle to high class area, my particular building has a significant amount of low income families.  As previously mentioned, there is a gap in resources and access between technology and low income families.  On one end, technology provides more access information for these students than traditional home resources would.  Many of my low income families don’t have the time, resources, or background knowledge to always help their students at home with academic subjects.  Technology is an amazing way to allow students to still get that individualized practice, however, that is often lacking in their homes as well.  On the other hand, I have some students that have access to both of those things.  This seems to perpetuate the achievement gap. 
              Some things I am already doing to try to increase technology use at home is communicating with families, providing training at conferences or requested meetings, and teaching students how to independently use technology within our classroom to share with their families.  One major component that seems obvious for trying to get students more access to technology at home is a laptop checkout system.  After just a quick google search about providing elementary families with technology, I realized that many schools around our district has some type of program set up for this.  The Tacoma Public School district has a “laptops2kids” program, where they provide one laptop per family (https://www.tacomaschools.org/laptops2kids/Pages/default.aspx).  Various other elementary schools across the country have information on their district’s website about a laptop checkout system as well.  This seems like something that would be reasonable to get more technology in families’ hands at home.  While this isn’t something that can be done immediately, it is something to consider for a grant within our district or at the building level. 
              One major component that would still be missing from a laptop checkout system would be internet access.  If families don’t have internet access at home, many of the resources that can be used in first grade aren’t available.  While laptops are portable and can be taken to public libraries and other places with wireless internet, this is often not an option for my young students.  A Mindshift article titled “Internet Access for All” discussed a program called “Everyone On” , where a non-profit company has partnered with major internet companies such as Comcast and Cox Communications to provide low- cost devices and internet to low income families (Shwartz, 2013).  This would be huge for some families within our district.  With doing just a quick zip code search on the site, many of our families would qualify for internet access for just $10 a month (normally $60) and a PC for $10 a month as well.  If they lived in an area where the median income is $35,000 or less, it would be free.  Unfortunately for these families, the median income in our district is very high, so it drives the cost up depending on their specific situation (there are many qualifiers that alter the prices). 
              While there is no way I can solve this problem with just researching for one blog post, I feel more confident in my knowledge of resources around me.  If given the opportunity to apply for a grant within my building or the district, I have a better idea of what goals I would try to accomplish in relation to technology access at home based on what other districts are doing.  I also feel more equipped for my upcoming parent teacher conferences, now knowing about some of the resources for free and reduced internet costs in our area. 


Ribble, M., & Miller, T. (n.d.). Educational Leadership in an Online World: Connecting Students to Technology Responsibly, Safely, and Ethically . Educational Leadership in an Online World, 17(1). Retrieved November 19, 2017.
Ribble, M. (2011). Digital citizenship in schools : nine elements all students should know. Retrieved from https://ebookcentral.proquest.com
Schwartz, K. (n.d.). Internet Access for All: A New Program Targets Low-Income Students. Retrieved November 19, 2017, from https://ww2.kqed.org/mindshift/2013/03/21/internet-access-for-everyone-a-new-program-targets-low-income-students/

Comments

  1. What a great post, Aubree! You touched on so many issues families face in terms of equity in access - technology in the home, differing levels of tech "savviness" within families to support students, as well as access to wireless networks. My district does not have a similar program to "laptops2kids" so I've been wondering how individual schools might partner with their local library to support kids. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post! I like how you touched on the issues that so many families face. I also like that you have so many resources listed, I’m going to have to check them out for some of my families! Thanks for sharing. What type of training do you provide for your families?

    ReplyDelete
  3. In our school district, we have a high school class where students refurbish our laptops that have been taken out of our classes. It provides two things -- the high school students earn their Microsoft certification for refurbishing machines and we get them out to families who need them. We don't have an income requirement which is good. Most of the families have more than one student who needs to use the one computer at home or they are competing with mom and/or dad trying to get work done at home.

    We advertise this along with the Comcast program with our welcome packets at the beginning of the year. Next year, we are going to start checking out a chromebook out to all of secondary students. They will have one computer checked out for 5th - 8th grade and then 9th - 12th. That way they can have them over the summer as well and it will take less time to checkout than if we had to do it every year. It should be interesting to see if this helps with the technology access as well.

    I like the idea you had to partner with the local library. Our school district did this last year with KCLS. I don't know how much it is being used, but students are given a library account through the school district that is tied to their student id number. Students can check out e-books and research through the databases. I believe they can also use it to get onto the computers at that local branches.

    We have also partnered with our community center that provides homework center and computer access. Again, it is not based on income.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What an incredible post and topic! Thank you for sharing so many great resources. I know I am guilty of taking for granted where I currently work and the many readily available resources we have. The demographics of my school are changing and I can seen how these programs could benefit many of our new families.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Standard 11 Reflection

Standard 11- Formative and Summative Assessment Standard 11 in Teacher Leadership standards for Seattle Pacific University states one must be able to “ utilize formative and summative assessment in a standards based environment .” As my skills in other teacher leadership standards have increased, this one naturally did as well.  While I used to shy away from the word “assessment” all together, I have realized that I cannot be a skilled and effective teacher without it.  I also realized how much I used formative assessments throughout my lessons without explicitly planning it. Throughout my experience in the Teacher Leadership program, my skills in both implementing specific formative assessment and choosing appropriate summative assessments have increased. At the very beginning of our program, we spent some time looking through our districts evaluation criteria, mine being the Danielson Framework.  We identified areas of strength and areas we want to work on throug

Reflection on Teaching and Learning

Teacher Leadership Standard 3 The third Teacher Leadership standard states " Teacher leaders improve teaching and learning through the use of educational research a the classroom and school levels" ( Seattle Pacific University-Teacher Leadership Program Standards).  While various classes within SPU's teacher leadership program facilitated opportunities to improve teaching and learning practices, completing an action research project and sharing my findings with administration was a learning experience that best highlighted this standard.  Throughout my reflection you will notice that I was able to take charge of my own learning and growth within my classroom, and then share my findings with others.  Going through the practice of identifying areas of growth, doing my own educational research, and then implementing a plan of action within my classroom was an empowering experience as an educator and helped sharpen my skills as a teacher leader in order to facilitate actio

EDTC 6433 Module 3 Reflection

Modeling Digital Citizenship to Young Learners The question I set out to answer for Module 3 was “How can I model effective use of technology to encourage students to be digital citizens?”.  I chose this question based off of the ISTE Standard 3: Model Digital Age Work and Learning.  I wanted to focus primarily on the “modeling” aspect of this ISTE standard, because it is so important that effective use of technology is modeled to students from an early age.  Since I teach first grade, I model everything I do.  It only makes sense to model effective use of technology right along with my students, even when I am not specifically teaching a lesson related to technology.  If I am modeling the correct ways to use technology, my students are more likely to use it the correct way as well when they get an opportunity to use it.  When reviewing the Module 3 assigned readings, I came across the article “The Difference between Digital Literacy and Digital Fluency”.  This article expre