Skip to main content

EDU 6528 End of Course Reflection

Looking at the course objectives for EDU 6529, I feel successful in accomplishing those goals over the course of the quarter.  After re-reading my initial course reflection on the Danielson Framework, I can pinpoint the areas that I have improved over the past couple months, and also list some resources that can help me with continuing to improve on the goals I set for myself.  So much of this growth came with the focus on reflection, another one of our course objectives.  Finally, I feel as though I am headed in the right direction for being able to promote continuous learning to other teachers through coaching techniques.
              The very first aspect of the course was taking a look at our own practice compared to our school’s framework for evaluation.  Using the Danielson Framework, I identified Domain 1 as a strength and Domain 3 as an area I can work on, specifically in engagement techniques in instruction and in differentiation or personalized learning (Danielson, 2013).  One tool that I started using more often at the beginning of this school year is learning through video.  After reading about how effective math PD can be when watching videos of other teacher’s teach or even just observing other teachers while teaching instead of just hearing about it at a PD, I wanted to connect this to my own learning as well (Borco, 2006).  I started reflecting through recording videos of myself teaching, but I also starting seeking out videos of other teachers teaching to help further my practice.  After reading the article, “growing professionally through reflective practice”, it emphasized how important reflective practice is and made me glad that I was starting this habit early (Corcoran, 2003).  Starting these habits has helped tremendously with improving in the Domain idea goals I set for myself. 
              One specific area for growth during this quarter was when I recorded myself teaching and then posted the video and reflected on it through the lens of an evaluator.  Not only did this help with my self-reflection skills, but it allowed me to switch gears and practice effective coaching techniques.  Some of the areas that I feel more confident in trying after this course are paraphrasing and questioning techniques.  Initially, paraphrasing was a challenge for me.  I felt as though I was not actually helping the person with the problem, and often I would find that the problem kept looping back to the forefront of our conversations.  With some more practice with summarizing, asking clarifying statements, and using the time to acknowledge others' feelings (Jackson, 2015), I seemed to catch on.  It especially seemed to get easier when questioning techniques were added on.  I began to feel successful when I could allow the other person to feel as though their problem was being acknowledged and then ask them a question that might probe them in a direction of helping them solve the problem on their own.
  I found it amazing how many daily “coaching” opportunities I actually have in the day.  Looking back, its humorous how many times I “practiced” these techniques on colleagues, friends, and even my husband (he's a teacher too) without them even knowing!  I specifically find paraphrasing helpful when another teacher or team member seems to need to vent about something.  I know they are not coming to me for advice, but just need another person to talk to.  I now often find myself re-phrasing the statement and clarifying what is being said when other teachers come to me with a problem or are venting in a group. 
Another aspect of this course that I was initially unsure about was beginning action research.  Action research is when teachers engage in an area that they are passionate about, and work to collect information and data to improve that area (Sagor, 2000).  I was worried that with the current demands in my classroom that I wouldn’t be able to collect sufficient data.  I was also worried (especially since I chose something that I am passionate about) that the efforts I put forth wouldn’t show any improvement.  After beginning the process and starting to plan how I will implement my strategies for next quarter, my fears have been left behind and I am now just excited to get started on it. 
Though my main question has changed a couple times from the beginning (and may change again), I plan on researching how I can produce an increased math dialogue between my students in hopes to increase math communication between child and parent.  Since I already use digital portfolios through class dojo, I plan on using that as one of the tools throughout this process.  I look forward to seeing how this process progresses and working with my students on something that I am so passionate about. 


Borco, H. (2006). Video as a Tool for Fostering Productive Discussions in Mathematical Professional Development. Teaching and Teacher Education, 24, 416-436. Retrieved September 29, 2017, from sciencedirect.com.

Sagor (2000). Chapter 1. What Is Action Research? Retrieved December 02, 2017, from http://www.ascd.org/publications/books/100047/chapters/What-Is-Action-Research%C2%A2.aspx'

Corcoran, C. A., & Leahy, R. (2003). Growing Professionally through Reflective Practice. Kappa Delta Pi Record, 40(1), 30-33. doi:10.1080/00228958.2003.10516411

Danielson Group » The Framework. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.danielsongroup.org/framework/


Jackson, P. W. (n.d.). Coaching for Educators. Retrieved December 02, 2017, from http://msuk12connect.org/articles/coaching-for-educators/254-paraphrasing-an-essential-skill-of-the-educational-coach

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Standard 11 Reflection

Standard 11- Formative and Summative Assessment Standard 11 in Teacher Leadership standards for Seattle Pacific University states one must be able to “ utilize formative and summative assessment in a standards based environment .” As my skills in other teacher leadership standards have increased, this one naturally did as well.  While I used to shy away from the word “assessment” all together, I have realized that I cannot be a skilled and effective teacher without it.  I also realized how much I used formative assessments throughout my lessons without explicitly planning it. Throughout my experience in the Teacher Leadership program, my skills in both implementing specific formative assessment and choosing appropriate summative assessments have increased. At the very beginning of our program, we spent some time looking through our districts evaluation criteria, mine being the Danielson Framework.  We identified areas of strength and areas we want to work on throug

Reflection on Teaching and Learning

Teacher Leadership Standard 3 The third Teacher Leadership standard states " Teacher leaders improve teaching and learning through the use of educational research a the classroom and school levels" ( Seattle Pacific University-Teacher Leadership Program Standards).  While various classes within SPU's teacher leadership program facilitated opportunities to improve teaching and learning practices, completing an action research project and sharing my findings with administration was a learning experience that best highlighted this standard.  Throughout my reflection you will notice that I was able to take charge of my own learning and growth within my classroom, and then share my findings with others.  Going through the practice of identifying areas of growth, doing my own educational research, and then implementing a plan of action within my classroom was an empowering experience as an educator and helped sharpen my skills as a teacher leader in order to facilitate actio

EDTC 6433 Module 3 Reflection

Modeling Digital Citizenship to Young Learners The question I set out to answer for Module 3 was “How can I model effective use of technology to encourage students to be digital citizens?”.  I chose this question based off of the ISTE Standard 3: Model Digital Age Work and Learning.  I wanted to focus primarily on the “modeling” aspect of this ISTE standard, because it is so important that effective use of technology is modeled to students from an early age.  Since I teach first grade, I model everything I do.  It only makes sense to model effective use of technology right along with my students, even when I am not specifically teaching a lesson related to technology.  If I am modeling the correct ways to use technology, my students are more likely to use it the correct way as well when they get an opportunity to use it.  When reviewing the Module 3 assigned readings, I came across the article “The Difference between Digital Literacy and Digital Fluency”.  This article expre