Skip to main content

EDTC 6433 Module 5 Blog Post

Promoting Lifelong Learning as a Technology Leader


The question that I set out to answer for the fifth ISTE standard is “How can I promote lifelong learning of technology to improve professional practice as my building’s technology team leader?”.  I am particularly focusing on section B of this ISTE standard: “Exhibit leadership by demonstrating a vision of technology infusion, participating in shared decision making and community building, and developing the leadership and technology skills of others”.  This portion of the standard is important to me because our building’s technology team is currently redesigning our vision for teacher use of technology and is deciding how to best implement some technology chances in a way that would appeal to all teachers. 

One article that I read that helped with gaining more information in this area is “The Administrator’s Role in Technology Integration”.  While this article is geared towards administrators and how they can promote effective use of technology within the classroom, it still made some valuable points to all building technology leaders.  The article stressed modeling of technology and provided examples of how administration can effectively model technology.  Some examples were displaying a website, emailing out agendas rather than printing them, and attending technology conferences.  Another important aspect that the article focuses on is providing enough support and encouragement for staff members.  It pointed out that even if technology is up to date, many teachers may not yet have the tools to effectively use the technology.  It suggested working in technology professional development regularly.  Finally, the article was summarized by a bulleted list of things teachers need to know, what they need to do, and what needs to be provided for them (Starr 2009). 

When discussing this ISTE standard with other classmates, I found various resources that, though they were addressing administrator roles in technology, were helpful to answer my question.  Specifically, the article “8 Skills to Look for in a Director of Technology” that was shared was applicable.  It resonated with me because it focused on qualities that all good teachers should have, rather than specific technology skills.  It even went as far as saying that the best technology leaders aren’t always your most skilled IT people, because that is not all of your job when you are involved in educational technology.  This is something that can be applied to my position as well (Wolpert-Gawron 2016).  While I am very comfortable with technology and the easiest thing for me may be to just do something for another staff member, the most valuable thing for our building is to promote independence.

After doing some more research, I have a better understanding of the qualities I’d like to have as a technology leader in my building and steps I can take to get there.  I also have a better understanding of what other teachers may be looking for in this type of leader and what I can do to best meet their needs while still promoting lifelong learning.  As I consider next steps, I would love to dig deeper into how to promote effective use of social media as a tool for professional development. While I love using social media as an educator, I often find it hard to explain how I use it to others or to provide solid reasoning behind why it is an effective form of PD.  This is something that I would like to set as a goal for myself as I move further into the year as a technology leader. 

Wolpert-Gawron, H. (2016, January 25). 8 Skills to Look for in a Director of Technology. Retrieved December 03, 2017, from https://www.edutopia.org/blog/8-skills-look-director-technology-heather-wolpert-gawron

The Administrator's Role in Technology Integration. (n.d.). Retrieved December 03, 2017, from http://www.educationworld.com/a_tech/tech087.shtml

Comments

  1. I like how you added that one of your sources says that some of the best leaders of technology aren't always your best IT people. This is an important thing for me to remember!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aubree,

    I agree with having to model technology for others. I am a building technology assistant in my building and it's so beneficial to model certain technology aspects and send out surveys to see what areas teachers need more support in. Thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of having the technology modeled. I know over the last 10 years during professional development, our administration has been better about showing best practices during our meetings. This has trickled down into our classroom.

    I was using padlet.com the other day in my classroom and my para and I we were talking about how that could be used when we have "parking lot"items to add to our agenda. That way they would be less likely to be "lost".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aubree- I always enjoy reading your blog posts. You provide great insight and always have a unique prospective of how to apply it to the classroom. I bet all of that is apparent in your role as an ED Tech lead! Modeling technology is huge for so many staff members.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Standard 11 Reflection

Standard 11- Formative and Summative Assessment Standard 11 in Teacher Leadership standards for Seattle Pacific University states one must be able to “ utilize formative and summative assessment in a standards based environment .” As my skills in other teacher leadership standards have increased, this one naturally did as well.  While I used to shy away from the word “assessment” all together, I have realized that I cannot be a skilled and effective teacher without it.  I also realized how much I used formative assessments throughout my lessons without explicitly planning it. Throughout my experience in the Teacher Leadership program, my skills in both implementing specific formative assessment and choosing appropriate summative assessments have increased. At the very beginning of our program, we spent some time looking through our districts evaluation criteria, mine being the Danielson Framework.  We identified areas of strength and areas we want to work on throug

Reflection on Teaching and Learning

Teacher Leadership Standard 3 The third Teacher Leadership standard states " Teacher leaders improve teaching and learning through the use of educational research a the classroom and school levels" ( Seattle Pacific University-Teacher Leadership Program Standards).  While various classes within SPU's teacher leadership program facilitated opportunities to improve teaching and learning practices, completing an action research project and sharing my findings with administration was a learning experience that best highlighted this standard.  Throughout my reflection you will notice that I was able to take charge of my own learning and growth within my classroom, and then share my findings with others.  Going through the practice of identifying areas of growth, doing my own educational research, and then implementing a plan of action within my classroom was an empowering experience as an educator and helped sharpen my skills as a teacher leader in order to facilitate actio

EDTC 6433 Module 3 Reflection

Modeling Digital Citizenship to Young Learners The question I set out to answer for Module 3 was “How can I model effective use of technology to encourage students to be digital citizens?”.  I chose this question based off of the ISTE Standard 3: Model Digital Age Work and Learning.  I wanted to focus primarily on the “modeling” aspect of this ISTE standard, because it is so important that effective use of technology is modeled to students from an early age.  Since I teach first grade, I model everything I do.  It only makes sense to model effective use of technology right along with my students, even when I am not specifically teaching a lesson related to technology.  If I am modeling the correct ways to use technology, my students are more likely to use it the correct way as well when they get an opportunity to use it.  When reviewing the Module 3 assigned readings, I came across the article “The Difference between Digital Literacy and Digital Fluency”.  This article expre